Sunday 27 March 2011

GD: Quetzal (Ecru) Pfau

I was lucky to get 2 Ecru Pfau wraps for myself. By mistake, but I`m glad, as one stays natty forever, while the other one has just taken a bath.
But what`s with the name?
You see, I`m an archaeologist. I worked in my profession from graduation in 2003 right until 9 months pregnant in summer 2009, and even though I`m now a stay-at-home-mum, I still think I`ll be coming back to digging one day, and hopefully, maybe also will fulfill my dream of doing a PhD finally in my field. And my field of interest and expertise lies in Mesoamerican civilisations. Maya civilisation, to be precise....
But ok, enough with daydreaming!(This blog is becoming more and more personal, wow;)

Quetzal is a beautifully coloured bird that lives in Central American forests. It was worshipped by various cultures in that area, as many features of this bird were transferred into some important deities. The kings-priests of Maya were using quetzal feathers in their ceremonial outfits.

Now I`m not a Maya queen but I wanted my beloved Ecru Pfau wrap to resemble the mighty Quetzal plumage (except for the red!I don`t "do" red;). Just to remind me that deep inside my dreams are still alive.

I`ve used 6 colour mixtures to dye this wrap, basic colours being: Teal Green, Emerald Green, Chartreuse, Turquoise, Sapphire and Cobalt/Strong Navy.
Colours near the rails have blended more than I had anticipated, but with a bit of inclination the differences can still be seen:)
The only thing I`m not entirely happy with is the Teal rail on the green side, that somehow lost its` true shade (maybe there was too much green on the canvas already...?), but I`ll redip that end when I have a possibility.
For now I`m loving it as it is!




3 comments:

  1. oh my! I just love this! If i can ever get my hands on an ecru pfau I am sending it to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Kim, Ecru is an amazing wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is a plucked pfau as good as ecru?

    ReplyDelete